You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sick of Mac denying access to my own files!

Every time I transfer photos etc. from my LG6 phone to my iMac (Sierra), I cannot open the photos, as the Mac denies me permission to the file. Never mind that I am on an admin account and its my machine! So then I have to putz around trying to tag the right permissions for all of these files all the time, and let me say, even that doesn't always work, and I'm locked out of my own files! I WANT THIS TO STOP. I want access to my own files when I transfer them from the phone or a USB key and I want the Mac to stop blocking me from accessing my own files. To be clear, I am looking for a *permanent* fix for this. I already know how to change permissions temporarily.

It's actually my wife's iMac, and she's totally fed up with this, and wants to either change phones or switch to Windows. Do I have to switch to Windows to avoid these problems?

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 7:51 AM

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2019 7:51 AM in response to Silphant

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Sep 3, 2019 10:49 AM in response to Silphant

Bottom line? Security is only going to get more restrictive going forward. Every new release of macOS (and other operating systems; Windows is no exception) will come with more stringent security measures due to the increase in bad actors that are trying to "get into your data."

Any workaround, will just need to be re-done at some point in time. That's just the way it is. You can elect not to participate by not buying these products ... but you will eventually not be able to use computers at all. Ah, for the simpler days, when a "handshake" was all that was needed.

Sep 3, 2019 12:10 PM in response to Tesserax

So the answer to

Q. "How do I get the Mac to stop denying me access and making me waste my time fiddling with permission settings for each of the folders and files, every single time I copy photos from my android smartphone"

is

A. "Don't use a computer"?

Really?? Does everyone here agree with this "bottom line" answer?

'Cos really, that's about as useful to me as "It's for your own protection" or "Just kill yourself, and you wont have that problem".

I often have friends and family ask me to troubleshoot their computer problems. It never occurred to me to just say "Hey, don't use a computer. Problem solved". I could save a lot of time, with that.

Sep 3, 2019 12:30 PM in response to Silphant

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just stating today's reality. I'm sure you will get plenty of replies with differing opinions ... and potential solutions. Maybe someone, well versed with Android devices, will offer you a solution that worked for them.

The issue, IMHO, is that any solution will just be trying to solve a "moving target." Apple will continue to tighten security measures with each OS update, as will Google with the Android OS. We have seen this with every new version of OS X, and even more so, with macOS. This would all "go away" if the "bad guys" do ... not likely to happen anytime soon.

If you want me to offer solutions which reduces or even eliminates any security measure that Apple has implemented in their OS, I can certainly provide a few ... but they all come with their own risk and I wouldn't recommend doing any of them.

Sep 3, 2019 1:28 PM in response to Tesserax

All I am looking for is a permanent solution to the problem of Sierra blocking access to files transferred from a smartphone or USB key (it is not an "Android" problem, per se). If there's a risk involved, I can assess that for myself. You're broadening the issue to ALL security measures on the OS, but I'm only concerned with this one problem, since it's a big issue here. (ie. Even after removing the "Fetching" nonsense in the permissions box and setting read/write permissions to the admin user, it still would not let me open the photos copied to the hard drive!)

Sep 3, 2019 10:18 PM in response to Silphant

Well if this was normal behaviour for a mac then we would all be stuck. My Mac can take images of of phones

of all kinds and a multitude of other devices, cameras, etc and have never encountered the problems you are having. This leads me to think there may be some sort of app installed on the Mac that is applying some sort of security permissions on files imported. So can you find out if there is any such software installed, and report back.

Sick of Mac denying access to my own files!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.