You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing text in iOS 13

After upgrading to iOS 13, I find it impossible to insert the cursor in the middle of a word so as to correct a single letter. Is there a way to achieve this?

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 3:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2019 3:59 PM

How did you do it previously?

I put and hold my finger on the Space key and move it and the cursor will follow.

15 replies

Dec 9, 2019 11:15 PM in response to lianee777

I too have been struggling with this since the OS changed. Thank you OT for the simple fix.

Regarding word corrections offered, hold on the word and a bar will pop up, select “Replace” (sometimes you have to use the right arrow to see the Replace option, then your correction options should appear.

Problem solved for you (and me) I hope! Photo below.

Nov 6, 2019 1:35 AM in response to Michael Graubart

I have this same problem. I have a 7+ if that has any bearing. I can no longer touch the screen on a word in a text and have just the cursor show up. If I touch a word, It selects the entire thing. So I can't delete just a single incorrect character within the word, I have to retype the entire word. Also, when incorrect words are underlined indicating they are misspelled, when I select the word it just highlights it in red and doesn't offer a corrected word to choose from. And they are simple words so there should be options. Please help! This is so frustrating!

Nov 6, 2019 1:46 AM in response to lianee777

Ok I just read OT's response and THANK YOU! Why didn't Apple just leave it the way it was before??? But the spacebar option works to move the cursor, so thank you! However, I still wonder how in my text, if highlights a word showing that it is incorrect, yet it doesn't offer any choices of a word to correct it to? Like it's a genuine typo with a letter that's a key off, like an "s instead of a "d" or something simple.

Dec 22, 2019 9:29 AM in response to Michael Graubart

Thank you, thank you OT! This issue has been driving me nuts since the last update. While this is a fantastic fix for a text "bug" Apple needs to address this issue for other users who might not take the time to look it up online. This was from another post I did this morning on a different thread until I stumbled on yours: "I have an iPhone 8 plus and since the most recent update my talk-to-text is struggling to enter the right text and when I try to edit text messages by touching the screen where I need to place the cursor it selects the entire word and will not allow me to place the cursor where I want it. I've tried holding it down and sliding it, but the cursor jumps all over the place. I end up having to erase the entire word and manually re-typing it into the text to correct a single letter. This is extremely annoying and time consuming as I send a lot of text messages in my profession." Your simple fix worked, but others might be struggling with this and Apple owes it to their customers to roll out less glitchy updates.

Editing text in iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.