You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app crashing after iOS 13

Both iPhone 8 Plus & iPad Pro are affected -- After updating to iOS 13: When I open a photo in the photos app and tap the share icon, I can't choose the different options such as "Use as wallpaper", "Create watch face", "Save to files", "Mail", Message", etc. - it simply closes the app. (I can, however Air Drop) If I choose to duplicate and edit, thus sending the photo to Recents (camera roll), then I can perform those actions. While I can set the wallpaper through settings, I can't use the other actions.

Possibly related: I also updated my MacBook pro to Catalina and had a hard time syncing photos over. My photo library had long ago been migrated over from iPhotos, and was still organized in events/folders. I found that if I moved the folder from "iPhoto events" and into "My Albums", then they would sync over. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I wanted to mention the action.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2019 9:11 AM

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was just me/my phone, but I completely re-built my phone from factory settings (to help with all the other problems I was having with the Catalina upgrade), added my photos all over again, and the same crashing problem. I did note it only does this with photos in my albums, it doesn't crash when I select a photo from my camera roll.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2019 9:11 AM in response to avidfan

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was just me/my phone, but I completely re-built my phone from factory settings (to help with all the other problems I was having with the Catalina upgrade), added my photos all over again, and the same crashing problem. I did note it only does this with photos in my albums, it doesn't crash when I select a photo from my camera roll.

Oct 22, 2019 12:08 PM in response to heypoodle

Same for me. Photos in camera roll work, but none in the albums. This is also happening on my iPad Pro. Even getting my photos synced over to my devices after Catalina was a challenge. I found that because all of my photos were still in the iPhoto events, they didn’t sync over until I moved them out of the iPhoto events album and into the main album itself.

Nov 17, 2019 10:46 AM in response to heypoodle

Exactly the same for me.

I updated to iOS 13 (once 13.1 was out) and Catalina in October: the Photos app crashes started almost immediately. I could also only share photos out of albums--Smart or otherwise--if I duplicated them out to the Camera Roll, first.

Eventually I restored my iPhone (XS) as a new device. I didn't copy over all the albums I used to keep on the device (I've only ever used iPhoto and Photos app for photos taken w/ iPhones; goes back to 2007). I kept the Camera Roll and a "last month" smart album. It was fine for awhile.

But using the share sheet for a photo in any album that isn't Camera Roll has started crashing the app again. I'm stumped and frustrated.

(device info: MBP 15-inch 2019, macOS Catalina 10.15.1; iPhone XS, iOS 13.1.3)

Photos app crashing after iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.