You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp - no iCloud chat backup found after changing phone number

I needed to move my WhatsApp account from one phone to another. First, I created a backup of the chats on iCloud using the process within the WhatsApp settings. Then, I followed their instructions to change my phone number to the new one. All went well - until I installed the app on the new phone, and tried to restore my chats from the backup - whereupon it told me that no backup could be found.

To troubleshoot, I changed my number BACK to the original one. My chats are still there on the old device, so I backed up again and tried the phone number change again. Same result.

How can I get WhatsApp on the new phone to find the backup I have made in iCloud? I don't want to use Dr.Fone or any other software (so please don't anyone try to sell me some). I just want to find out why I can't access the backup, and fix the issue.

iPhone 5s, iOS 11

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 9:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2019 3:28 PM

SOLUTION

To help anyone else who has this problem, here's the solution I found through a combination of luck and guesswork: both the old phone and the new phone seemingly have to have the same name. When I fixed that, the iCloud backup restore worked like a dream.

No idea whether that's an iCloud glitch or a WhatsApp glitch - but setting the phones to the same name seems to resolve it.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2019 3:28 PM in response to haveronjones

SOLUTION

To help anyone else who has this problem, here's the solution I found through a combination of luck and guesswork: both the old phone and the new phone seemingly have to have the same name. When I fixed that, the iCloud backup restore worked like a dream.

No idea whether that's an iCloud glitch or a WhatsApp glitch - but setting the phones to the same name seems to resolve it.

Oct 19, 2019 3:53 PM in response to haveronjones

instead of chiding me rather condescendingly for an inappropriate post, I would have apologised.

If you see that as condescending, I disagree. I never said it was inappropriate, I suggested it was in the wrong community..

Had you revealed in your op that Whatsapp had already absolved themselves of any responsibility, I would not have made the suggestion I did.

WhatsApp - no iCloud chat backup found after changing phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.