You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote move text box not working

In Keynote 9.2 (6520) I can animate a shape with the 'move' action, but I can't get Keynote to 'move' a text block.

Keynote allows me to choose 'move'. It shows the default red line from the text block (like it does for other elements) but the text box doesn't *move*. I can see the ghost image of my text block at the end-point of the move but the move itself doesn't display.

If I choose "preview" from the Inspector palette, Keynote will show me the ghosted text block at the end-point but not the actual move.

If I choose to 'play' or to 'rehearse slideshow', Keynote will ignore the 'move' and not even show the end position of the 'move'. All other actions and builds work flawlessly. It's just the text blocks that it doesn't like to move.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 8:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 9:49 AM

I haven't found the answer but I've got a work-around.

If you delete the offending text block, then create a new one in Keynote 9.2 (not just cut and paste) then the 'move' action will work.

I suspect this happened because I created the text block in a previous version of Keynote and then opened it up in Keynote 9.2. I don' t know why Keynote 9.2 doesn't like text blocks that were created in previous versions but there you have it.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 24, 2019 9:49 AM in response to seanfromst. john's

I haven't found the answer but I've got a work-around.

If you delete the offending text block, then create a new one in Keynote 9.2 (not just cut and paste) then the 'move' action will work.

I suspect this happened because I created the text block in a previous version of Keynote and then opened it up in Keynote 9.2. I don' t know why Keynote 9.2 doesn't like text blocks that were created in previous versions but there you have it.

Keynote move text box not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.