You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Password Issue after upgrade to Catalina,

I Upgrade to Catalina, everything was Fine, I rebooted the Mac, and now it is asking me for "Disk Password"

I Tried every password i have ever used, nothing is working,

it dose not want to go into the recovery mode that have the utilities,

the only thing i can do is "reset password", I did it, it went smooth, but still the password dose not work in the "Disk Password" page, what Do I do,

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 12:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 12:28 PM

Did you encrypt the disk? Is this the password needed to use the encrypted disk? Is this the firmware password needed to boot the computer? Does it look like this:

Lock icon

If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue.

Forgotten Firmware Password

If you lost or forgot your firmware password - Apple Support.

If you forgot your firmware password, schedule an appointment with an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 27, 2019 12:28 PM in response to alfalfa82

Did you encrypt the disk? Is this the password needed to use the encrypted disk? Is this the firmware password needed to boot the computer? Does it look like this:

Lock icon

If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue.

Forgotten Firmware Password

If you lost or forgot your firmware password - Apple Support.

If you forgot your firmware password, schedule an appointment with an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Disk Password Issue after upgrade to Catalina,

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.