You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Photo non-stop for the last 3 hours

I have no issue with Photo app before upgrading to Catalina. But now (Catalina is installed completed), the photos app when launched, will begin to "gathering favorites / curating best photos / analysing scenes / composing layout" and it repeats these 4 tasks over and over and over again for hours. The status bar is somewhere at 85%

I want to know if it is actually working on something and is there a way I know how long more it will take.

Details :

iMac 21.5: late 2013

MacOS Catalina 10.15

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 12:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 3:05 AM

It will do Analysing Scenes... Gathering Favorites... etc etc repeating for comic to more than 4 hours. And it hang the second time. The whole Mac is frozen. I can't switch windows, can't access to Apple menu, can't force quit. But I can Force shutdown.

I don't mind let it run for few days but it freeze after running for few hours and I feel my effort is wasted. There is no feedback about how much more they will do or at least the status bar showing the percentage (e.g. 89%).

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 28, 2019 3:05 AM in response to jameshoty

It will do Analysing Scenes... Gathering Favorites... etc etc repeating for comic to more than 4 hours. And it hang the second time. The whole Mac is frozen. I can't switch windows, can't access to Apple menu, can't force quit. But I can Force shutdown.

I don't mind let it run for few days but it freeze after running for few hours and I feel my effort is wasted. There is no feedback about how much more they will do or at least the status bar showing the percentage (e.g. 89%).

Apple Photo non-stop for the last 3 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.