You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Apple USB External Keyboard After OS X Catalina Upgrade

Hi,

I have a Macbook Early 2015 with and Apple USB External keyboard attached to it and, since I have upgraded to Catalina, I am facing problems with the keyboard.

It works normally until I put my Mac in the Sleep mode. If I open my Mac again, the keyboard is not recognized (and I need to restart the Mac in order to have the External keyboard working again).

I have read some posts about problems with External HD/keyboards/mouses related to old 32 bit drivers, but it is not the case.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 6:26 AM

Hi toughtfulinsights,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are running into an issue with your external keyboard no longer working after your MacBook wakes from sleep. I'd like to help.

It's good to know you can get your keyboard working again after a restart. I would like to have you reset the SMC next, as this can help resolve issues related to sleep/wake cycles and keyboard issues: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support.

Do you leave any programs running when you close the lid on your MacBook to place it into sleep? If so, try closing out of all running programs and test for the issue again. Do you have any additional peripherals connected to your MacBook? If so, try disconnecting them and test your keyboard again.

If the same behavior continues, let's have you boot up into safe mode. It’s a way to start up your Mac so it performs certain checks, repairs, emptying of system cache, and prevents some software from automatically loading: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Once in safe mode, try placing your MacBook into sleep and then test your keyboard when you wake your Mac. Note the results, then restart your Mac and log in as normal. Sometimes safe mode can resolve some issues, so be sure to test once more for the same issue once you boot back into normal mode.

Keep me posted on the results.

Thank you for your time.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2019 6:26 AM in response to toughtfulinsights

Hi toughtfulinsights,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are running into an issue with your external keyboard no longer working after your MacBook wakes from sleep. I'd like to help.

It's good to know you can get your keyboard working again after a restart. I would like to have you reset the SMC next, as this can help resolve issues related to sleep/wake cycles and keyboard issues: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support.

Do you leave any programs running when you close the lid on your MacBook to place it into sleep? If so, try closing out of all running programs and test for the issue again. Do you have any additional peripherals connected to your MacBook? If so, try disconnecting them and test your keyboard again.

If the same behavior continues, let's have you boot up into safe mode. It’s a way to start up your Mac so it performs certain checks, repairs, emptying of system cache, and prevents some software from automatically loading: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Once in safe mode, try placing your MacBook into sleep and then test your keyboard when you wake your Mac. Note the results, then restart your Mac and log in as normal. Sometimes safe mode can resolve some issues, so be sure to test once more for the same issue once you boot back into normal mode.

Keep me posted on the results.

Thank you for your time.

Problems with Apple USB External Keyboard After OS X Catalina Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.