You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use time machine to also back up the external drive I use to store all my pictures?.

I am using Time machine to back up my computer. I have a SSD storage but it is limited in capacity ( lack of money :( ). I therefore store all my pictures and movies on an external Hard drive. Can I get Time machine to do back upp of the external HD as well?

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 12:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 1:28 PM

Hello,

It is possible to have Time Machine backup an external drive as apart of your Mac’s backup. In System Preferences > Time Machine > Tap Options > A list will now be presented which shows you all of the locations omitted by Time Machine’s backup. Your external hard disk should show up in this list. Select your external hard disk > Tap the minus button in the lower left corner of this pane. Time Machine will now backup your external hard disk.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 3, 2019 1:28 PM in response to Ulf123

Hello,

It is possible to have Time Machine backup an external drive as apart of your Mac’s backup. In System Preferences > Time Machine > Tap Options > A list will now be presented which shows you all of the locations omitted by Time Machine’s backup. Your external hard disk should show up in this list. Select your external hard disk > Tap the minus button in the lower left corner of this pane. Time Machine will now backup your external hard disk.

Nov 3, 2019 1:38 PM in response to Ulf123

I currently have my photo library on an external SSD. I just verified that the photo library is being backed up by Time Machine.

The only caveat about backing data from an external disk drive is Time Machine is unable to backup any data stored on the same disk drive where the Time Machine database is located. As long as it is on a different disk drive, the data can be backed up.

Can I use time machine to also back up the external drive I use to store all my pictures?.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.