You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best external CD/DVD player for my 2019 iMac running Catalina?

Need an external CD/DVD player compatible with my iMac running Catalina. Apple's SuperDrive has mixed reviews mostly negative. Looking for suggestions on other well tested products. Mostly need for TurboTax and the occasional DVD that I might play. Main concern is about compatibility.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 6:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 6:59 AM

keithfromva wrote:

Need an external CD/DVD player compatible with my iMac running Catalina. Apple's SuperDrive has mixed reviews mostly negative. Looking for suggestions on other well tested products. Mostly need for TurboTax and the occasional DVD that I might play. Main concern is about compatibility.

I bought an LG brand CD/DVD player from Amazon for about $25. It works fine for light use.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 4, 2019 6:59 AM in response to keithfromva

keithfromva wrote:

I bought an LG brand CD/DVD player from Amazon for about $25. It works fine for light use.

Nov 4, 2019 9:03 AM in response to HunterBD

It seems I was mistaken! 🥵 My SuperDrive does NOT appear to be working on my 'new' iMac 18,3 running macOS Catalina.

I've just asked another question here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250821224?answerId=251560538022

Now plugged into my new iMac , I CAN play - and am playing - a music CD! 🤔

It's DVDs it will not play. 🙄

Suggestions welcomed!

David

What is the best external CD/DVD player for my 2019 iMac running Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.