You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes have disappeared

Hi,

My MacBook Air had High Sierra as the OS - I had a number of issues with the OS and was eventually "forced" to have Mojave installed. All my data was restored from a Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant.

Everything looked OK, until I opened Notes and all my data was gone. To the best of my memory the notes were "On My Mac" in other words they were not on iCloud.

I have searched through various items on the Apple Community forums and cannot find how best to retrieve my Notes data?

Have tried restoring (with no success):

(a) the files in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.notes/Data/Library/Notes/

and

(b) ~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes

Anyone have any ideas?

Kind regards,

Antonio

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 12:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2019 11:39 AM

Hi,

Thank you <dot.com>>

Unfortunately I tried multiple snapshots (from Time Machine) of the 3 files in that folder but none of my attempts succeeded.

I then copied the a few snapshots from the entire contents of the folder called:

~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes

and finally successfully recovered all my notes - YEAH!!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 22, 2019 11:39 AM in response to dot.com

Hi,

Thank you <dot.com>>

Unfortunately I tried multiple snapshots (from Time Machine) of the 3 files in that folder but none of my attempts succeeded.

I then copied the a few snapshots from the entire contents of the folder called:

~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.apple.notes

and finally successfully recovered all my notes - YEAH!!

Notes have disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.