You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How/where do we enable supervised mode?

We have about 160 iPads throughout our school. We have participated in Apple's DEP for 6-7 years now, and are currently using the Jamf School (formerly Zuludesk) MDM. We have previously used eSpark's Orchard MDM and before that we used Cisco Meraki's MDM.

Some of our iPads show as supervised but others are not. How/where do we enable supervised mode? I don't see that as an option in Apple School Manager, but maybe I'm just missing it.

Thanks!

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 5:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 4:42 AM

If you have enrolled all the devices using Apple DEP, I don’t see why they should not appear as supervised devices. 

Every device purchased from Apple, its authorized reseller or an authorized carrier can be added to DEP (device enrollment program) where it is automatically supervised. Check if all your devices are purchased from these sources, else you’ll have to go for the manual supervision. 

To manually supervise your iPads, use a Mac with Apple configurator 2 app and a lightening cable. Connect the device physically and you should be able to supervise it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 11, 2019 4:42 AM in response to RichTCS

If you have enrolled all the devices using Apple DEP, I don’t see why they should not appear as supervised devices. 

Every device purchased from Apple, its authorized reseller or an authorized carrier can be added to DEP (device enrollment program) where it is automatically supervised. Check if all your devices are purchased from these sources, else you’ll have to go for the manual supervision. 

To manually supervise your iPads, use a Mac with Apple configurator 2 app and a lightening cable. Connect the device physically and you should be able to supervise it.

How/where do we enable supervised mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.