You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) panic report

hi, i have this problems since 1 month ago, I didn't install Catalina because im afraid to has the same problem, I had done some stuff posted in some sites, nothing works. When I close the Mac and goes to sleep it crashes with a kernel panic. The report is:

Tue Dec  3 14:09:55 2019

*** Panic Report ***

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff7f90d22ae5): "Failed to complete supporting devices sleep/wake\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleEmbeddedOSSupport/AppleEmbeddedOSSupport-135.270.2/Source/Drivers/AppleEmbeddedOSSupportHost/AppleEmbeddedOSSupportHost.cpp:450

Backtrace (CPU 6), Frame : Return Address

I don't know if its a problem with ssd or logic board... or something else... any advise???

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Mojave 10.14.6

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 3, 2019 12:26 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 5, 2019 7:41 PM in response to Alex_coatza

Alex_coatza wrote:

Wooww, maybe this is the problem. Sometime before this problem, my touchbar stop working. I noticed this after a big update of the Mojave os. I tried many things I found in reputable sites, nothing works. From time to time Touch Bar worked but not at more. I plan to change it but in my city there is no Apple store. I was thinking the problem is something related to the logic board but your advise make more sense. Do you think change it will eliminate the problem?

I have not found a good way to diagnose a Touchbar if it has an intermittent failure. When Touchbars don't work at all I've always had to replace the Top Case Assembly which includes the Touchbar. I would first uninstall all AV & cleaning apps to make sure they are not causing your problem. If you have any software which modifies the behavior of the Keyboard or Touchbar, then I would remove that as well.

If the Touchbar is not working, then try booting into Safe Mode and Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) or (Command + Option + Shift + R) to see if the Touchbar works in any of these other modes. Safe Mode disables most drivers and all Startup & Login items while the two Internet Recovery Modes I listed provide a clean version of macOS from the online installer with either Catalina or the original OS for the laptop respectively.

also, avast and ccleaner will eraser it. Do you recommend to install any antivirus ?

Unless your school or employer requires anti-virus software I would not use anything on a Mac. If you want or need to use some form of anti-virus software to protect against malware & adware, then MalwareBytes is the best option on a Mac. The paid version runs all the time like a traditional AV solution and the free version must be run manually by the user. I don't run any AV software on my Mac and I've never had a problem, but I am very careful on what websites I visit and the items I click on & download.

Dec 3, 2019 6:11 PM in response to Alex_coatza

Please post a full copy of the Kernel Panic and any other recent Kernel Panic logs. Open the Console app located in the /Applications/Utilities folder. On the left pane of the console there should be a folder called "System Reports". When you click on System Reports it will open up another column containing some logs. Look for logs beginning with "Kernel". Post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you don't see the Kernel Panic here, check the Diagnostic folder or try the "/var/logs" folders found on the left pane of the Console app. Apple has moved the location a few times.

To check for possible software causes run EtreCheck and the post report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Dec 4, 2019 6:15 PM in response to Alex_coatza

From Kernel Panic reports:
Failed to complete supporting devices sleep/wake\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleEmbeddedOSSupport/AppleEmbeddedOSSupport-135.270.2/Source/Drivers/AppleEmbeddedOSSupportHost/AppleEmbeddedOSSupportHost.cpp:450

It looks like both panic reports are referencing a sleep/wake issue with EmbeddedOS which is associated with the Touchbar. I don't know if this would indicate an issue with the Touchbar or if it could be an issue with Avast or some other third party app/driver.

Uninstall Avast using the developer's instructions as long as it is not required by your school or employer. AV software & cleaning apps are not needed on a Mac and they usually cause more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance. If you need to use AV software see if MalwareBytes is an acceptable option as it is the only solution most contributors here will recommend.

Dec 4, 2019 11:55 PM in response to HWTech

Wooww, maybe this is the problem. Sometime before this problem, my touchbar stop working. I noticed this after a big update of the Mojave os. I tried many things I found in reputable sites, nothing works. From time to time Touch Bar worked but not at more. I plan to change it but in my city there is no Apple store. I was thinking the problem is something related to the logic board but your advise make more sense. Do you think change it will eliminate the problem?

also, avast and ccleaner will eraser it. Do you recommend to install any antivirus ?

thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) panic report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.