You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit failed Mac password attempts

Is it possible to limit the number of times one can enter the password incorrectly on a Mac?

Security is a big concern for me and I find it bizarre that this isn't the default option. I have FileVault turned on, but can not find anywhere in settings that would limit the number of failed attempts.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 1:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 5:29 AM

You can if you create configuration profiles and set them up using Mobile Device Management (MDM): Welcome - Apple Support

There is no way to do it in the in the basic OS.

Security is a big concern for me and I find it bizarre that this isn't the default option.

How do you get into the Mac after you have failed to enter the correct password and it locks out? You need a system to manage that, hence, MDM and not part of the basic OS.

If it is your only Apple device, how do you recover?

Solutions to both of those that do not use a device management system would completely obviate the utility of the lockout.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 22, 2019 5:29 AM in response to BeingDanielLee

You can if you create configuration profiles and set them up using Mobile Device Management (MDM): Welcome - Apple Support

There is no way to do it in the in the basic OS.

Security is a big concern for me and I find it bizarre that this isn't the default option.

How do you get into the Mac after you have failed to enter the correct password and it locks out? You need a system to manage that, hence, MDM and not part of the basic OS.

If it is your only Apple device, how do you recover?

Solutions to both of those that do not use a device management system would completely obviate the utility of the lockout.

Limit failed Mac password attempts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.