You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 seems to changed the photo quality and size.

I found today that my photos are being saved to my phone as .heic, extremely small file size. I changed "format-> most compatible". Thinking that I get back .jpeg. When I emailed a photo to myself, it came as 2MB size, with the document I scanned lost its quality when I printed. This appears to be a new phenomenon, very negative feeling, honestly this thing sucks. What is the urgency to "save" file size by distorting the quality? My iPhone has 256GB storage, why should I lose image quality when I paid $900 for my phone's extra storage??

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 3:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 3:48 PM

What is the urgency to "save" file size by distorting the quality?

There is no quality loss.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022

6 replies

Dec 29, 2019 4:13 PM in response to LACAllen

I chose the format choice, please read my first message.. and then, emailed the photo myself to computer... it came as 2mb photo with similar quality.. most the content is "pixelized" on computer screen.

Are there any unpaid "export" options. Dont tell me abou the iCoud thing.. the 5GB is not sufficient.

AM I supposed to see any other options under this?

Dec 29, 2019 3:57 PM in response to LACAllen

Yeah, it changed the quality. I zoomed the so called "optimized" photos and it has all sorts of aberrations.. chromatic etc.. the old traditional photos in similar circumstances are in better quality despite of zooming. To be on fair side, the "optimized" heic photos look better in thumbnails. Seems like Apple wants its users to shoot "thumbnains" not serious photos. I am not buying apple next ... been an ios user for past 10 years.. This random distortion of photo formats is not acceptable. Apple could have given an option to the end users to choose if they want new format or continue old format. Apple denying choice to the end users is not good.

Dec 29, 2019 4:05 PM in response to Supertank248

You are looking at a thumbnail on your device. When you export, you will see the final uncompressed full quality.

Most people do not need the full quality on their device screen. If you want this, then by all means change your settings. You have a choice.

Apple could have given an option to the end users to choose if they want new format or continue old format. Apple denying choice to the end users is not good.

This is nonsense. You have the choice.

Facts matter. If your device does not reflect your format choice, something else is happening.

Dec 29, 2019 4:24 PM in response to Supertank248

Are there any unpaid "export" options. Dont tell me abou the iCoud thing

It's not my preference to carry on conversations with people who ask questions and then tell me how to answer them.

It sounds like you should simply go back to Most Compatible and carry on. This means all stored photos on your device are JPEGs. You have already made your decision to leave Apple. I have zero desire to change your mind.

An internet search will get you options for moving them off your device. Email is likely the poorest choice to make.

Best of luck.

iOS 13 seems to changed the photo quality and size.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.