You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CanoScan 9000F software for OS Catalina

I updated to Mac OS 10.15.2 Catalina and my Canon CanoScan 9000F is not compatible. Canon lists no drivers or software for OS Catalina. Will there be software released to support the CanoScan 9000F?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 7:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2020 9:30 AM

I thank everyone for their input!

Drivers for the older Mac OS do not work.

VueScan does work although I think it is expensive as compared to a new scanner.

Image Capture works also for documents but I use the 9000F to scan photo SLIDES. It still might work but I haven't tried yet.

Again, I thank everyone for the help!

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2020 9:30 AM in response to VikingOSX

I thank everyone for their input!

Drivers for the older Mac OS do not work.

VueScan does work although I think it is expensive as compared to a new scanner.

Image Capture works also for documents but I use the 9000F to scan photo SLIDES. It still might work but I haven't tried yet.

Again, I thank everyone for the help!

Dec 30, 2019 8:16 PM in response to Gary Davison

Well that would be up to Canon wouldn't it. The last supported OS was High Sierra so they are very unlikely to provide a driver for Catalina. Why not download the High Sierra driver and see fit you get anywhere, if you haven't already, it won't do any harm.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/scanners/canoscan_series/canoscan_9000f.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2010.13%20(high%20sierra)

Click on this, https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203343 and scroll down to Reset the printing system.

Have you tried Image Capture which is in your Application folder.

There is also Vuescan, which is paid but may have a driver available for your Canon scanner.

https://www.hamrick.com

Dec 31, 2019 12:06 AM in response to Gary Davison

Gary Davidson Said:

CanoScan 9000F software for OS Catalina: I updated to Mac OS 10.15.2 Catalina and my Canon CanoScan 9000F is not compatible. Canon lists no drivers or software for OS Catalina. Will there be software released to support the CanoScan 9000F?

———-

Go Here and Chat with Canon Support: Canon Maintenance Service — Canon Support. Contacting support is the best way to go about troubleshooting the printer’s inoperability. So, perform a chat with the Manufacturer (Canon) using that link.

Run this Through a Virtual Machine:

If there ends up being not solution for Catalina, consider using a Virtual Machine (VM) for this printer (Windows-in-a-window). You would open items in it, and print right off of that.

All would be accessed and would operate as desired on the VM. Virtual Machine applications include VMWare Fusion and Parallels. Learn more here: What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMware Support.

Dec 31, 2019 2:47 AM in response to Gary Davison

As that Canon 9000F is an older generation of their 9000 series scanners, it would be unlikely that Canon would update the drivers for it to 64-bit. If Apple's Image Capture will work with the scanner without functional Canon drivers, then that would be a possible solution.

The paid, non-subscription, 64-bit VueScan product supports (flatbed/film scanning) the 9000F without any Canon software or drivers. In the absence of another solution, this would be a less expensive route than a new scanner purchase, extend the life of the 9000F, and deliver Canon independence.

I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010, and continue to use an ancient Canon scanner with impunity. By no means do I receive any compensation or other benefit from Hamrick software for mentioning VueScan here.

Jan 1, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Gary Davison

Canon appears to have exited the professional (9000-series) image scanner business. They now offer the Lidennn series which are priced at or below VueScan. However, even the Lide400 shows support through High Sierra, scans at half the optical resolution of the 9000F (9600x9600), and most of its dust, scratch, and other artifact reduction is only offered on Windows. There is no FARE Level 3 support as found in your 9000F.

From a scanned image quality standpoint, you might reconsider VueScan Professional, and the 9000F combination, or pay alot more for a quality replacement scanner that meets or exceeds the 9000F features.

CanoScan 9000F software for OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.