You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings that allow opening files in the same desktop where's finder

Hey all,

I work on mac with an external monitor most of the time and there is one big annoying thing that really irritates me.

Let me explain it, its pretty simple: I have several desktops on my mac and several desktops on my external monitor, when I place Finder in external desktop and try to open files, they always open on my mac's desktop, so every time I have to move the file in Preview to the external desktop like moron and it really slows my work.

Is there a fix/workaround that allows opening files in the same desktop where's Finder even when the Finder is on external monitor's desktop?

Thanks for the ideas

MacBook

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 8:09 PM

You can set an App to be on a particular desktop, or None. If it is set to None, a file should open in the Desktop where it was opened.

There is a setting in Mission control that will switch Desktops if the App has an open window in that desktop. But, that shouldn't affect opening a Document, only switching to the App.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 14, 2020 8:09 PM in response to Ellendereth

You can set an App to be on a particular desktop, or None. If it is set to None, a file should open in the Desktop where it was opened.

There is a setting in Mission control that will switch Desktops if the App has an open window in that desktop. But, that shouldn't affect opening a Document, only switching to the App.

Settings that allow opening files in the same desktop where's finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.