You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audiophile with itunes library needs to protect it from downgrade to 256k in Music if update to Catalina

As an audiophile, I need to keep the songs in my iTunes library at their native rate when ripped from a CD or imported form High Rez websites like HD Tracks or Acoustic Sounds. I believe that if I upgrade to Catalina, all my songs will go to 256k, which will lower the quality of sound. Short of buying a music server like Aurender to move my library, is there any way to retain my iTunes library as is on a Catalina OS Mac? What options do I have? Thanks.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 27, 2020 6:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 2:12 AM

The use of the Music app is the same irrespective of whether you subscribe to Apple Music or not. If you subscribe to Apple Music, your library is scanned to determine what music can be matched or needs to be uploaded. Your original file will remain intact and is not automatically changed.

What you will find is that the matched tracks will be 256 kbps AAC and uploaded tracks transcribed to 256 kbps AAC BUT this will only affect songs played on other devices.

In any event, you should keep a back of of your music on an external drive.

Jim

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2020 2:12 AM in response to brucefromberrien springs

The use of the Music app is the same irrespective of whether you subscribe to Apple Music or not. If you subscribe to Apple Music, your library is scanned to determine what music can be matched or needs to be uploaded. Your original file will remain intact and is not automatically changed.

What you will find is that the matched tracks will be 256 kbps AAC and uploaded tracks transcribed to 256 kbps AAC BUT this will only affect songs played on other devices.

In any event, you should keep a back of of your music on an external drive.

Jim

Jan 28, 2020 4:50 AM in response to brucefromberrien springs

Hi,

What makes you believe that your music will be downgraded? What happened to iTunes? – Apple Support

All that happens is that iTunes is split into three separate apps. The Music app is essentially iTunes without movies, podcasts and audiobooks. When you transfer to Catalina, your iTunes library.itl is converted to the new music library format. You actual files will not change. As a matter of good practice, you should maintain a separate backup on an external drive.

Jim

Jan 28, 2020 6:41 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks, Jim, for the information. Does this mean that there is a difference in Music, which is the app that converts your iTunes library on my desktop computer without changing the files, and Apple Music, which converts every file to 256k so that all your music can be put in the Cloud and accessed by all your Apple devices? If so, then 1. why would they do something as stupid as calling one Music and the other Apple Music with all the confusion it causes, and 2. Can I just avoid performing some keystroke that causes me to subscribe to Apple Music and my library will stay intact? (no need to answer question 1, I was just venting).

Thanks.

Audiophile with itunes library needs to protect it from downgrade to 256k in Music if update to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.