You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming or downloading quality

In MUsic app on Mac OS Big SUr, you can adjust steaming/dowload audio quality.

"AAC" High Quality

ALAC "Apple Lossless"

ALAC "High Resolution" * external hardware suggested pop up

Presumably, this upgrades quality to Lossless *at pictured*

Now,, what happens if i Dowland this ALAC to external drive (aka. where music library is stored), take it over to an older Windows iTunes machine older version of iTunes and sign in?... Technically, this ALAC downloaded content should NOT replace my Apple music catalog right ? because these are same albums, just different quality.

aka i just don't want to see double up's *one AAC, and one ALAC*

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 1:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2022 4:01 AM

Hi,

Lossless streaming and downloading is only available on music app. Downloads have DRM and will not play in iTunes on a PC,

Existing Matched and Purchased downloads will be AAC. If there is a lossless version available, you can remove original and download lossless version. You should keep a back up of your existing music as lossless versions are only available whilst you have an active Apple Music subscription.

Jim

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2022 4:01 AM in response to Tech198

Hi,

Lossless streaming and downloading is only available on music app. Downloads have DRM and will not play in iTunes on a PC,

Existing Matched and Purchased downloads will be AAC. If there is a lossless version available, you can remove original and download lossless version. You should keep a back up of your existing music as lossless versions are only available whilst you have an active Apple Music subscription.

Jim

Streaming or downloading quality

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.