You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac pro catalina update disables ethernet ports

I hooked up my new 2019 Mac Pro and plugged into the ethernet port. Everything worked fine downloading media and files, but as soon as I did the Catalina software update to 10.15.3 the ethernet ports were disabled. Looking at network settings it said Cable unplugged. Was on Apple support for an hour and 15 minutes with no help. I believe is a software update problem with a kernel or something. Help!

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 7:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 7:19 AM

a MacOS re-Install, by design, does not bulk-erase anything outside of System Directories. It is intended to leave your files and added Applications unchanged.

So the first step after the stuff they suggested on the phone is to re-install macOS 10.15 in-place (NOT erasing the drive first).

If a disk fails during this process, you could lose data by accident. If your computer were anything but brand new, this calls into question your Backup arrangement.

What is the date of your most recent Backup?

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 5, 2020 7:19 AM in response to danfromagua dulce

a MacOS re-Install, by design, does not bulk-erase anything outside of System Directories. It is intended to leave your files and added Applications unchanged.

So the first step after the stuff they suggested on the phone is to re-install macOS 10.15 in-place (NOT erasing the drive first).

If a disk fails during this process, you could lose data by accident. If your computer were anything but brand new, this calls into question your Backup arrangement.

What is the date of your most recent Backup?

Feb 6, 2020 1:34 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

This problem is not new this started in 10.14 and is a intermittent fault I have a 2013 Mac Pro the problem it's not registering the ethernet cable . In my case Port one but Ethernet port two worked after soul-searching the solution is shutdown the Mac with the cable plug-in start the Mac when you get to the desktop unplug the Cable then plug it back in into Ethernet port 2 at this point Open System preferences go to network you should see Ethernet port 2 working then unplug it and put it into Ethernet 1 then Port is now working . But this is a hardware fault not software. This little trick works in a short time if this doesn't work contact AppleCare.

angelo

Mac pro catalina update disables ethernet ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.