You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac 10.15.3 System Preferences

Mac 10.15.3 System Preferences > Safety & Privacy > Privacy > Screen Recordings

How to add an app (OBS 24.0.6) to the list of options?

I am an old lady, so please use small words.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 11:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 11:16 AM

When you start the program you are probably receiving a message that you have to give it permission. In most, but not all cases, a dialog box is presented for you to click on okay or to cancel. If so, click on the Okay button and the Security & Privacy control panel should launch. If you don't get that message, start System Preferences and then select the Security & Privacy tab.

In the bottom left hand corner of the Security & Privacy tab you'll see a lock. Click on it and enter your computer password. In the Security & Privacy tab there are two window panes, one to the left has a list of security items and there's a bigger one to the right. On the left pane scroll down to Screen Recording and select it (click on it). Now in the right window pane you do or will see the icon's of programs that need permissions granted. There is a check mark box by each icon. Click on the box to check the item. Now it has permission. Close the Security & Privacy tab and you are finished.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 18, 2020 11:16 AM in response to sparrow444

When you start the program you are probably receiving a message that you have to give it permission. In most, but not all cases, a dialog box is presented for you to click on okay or to cancel. If so, click on the Okay button and the Security & Privacy control panel should launch. If you don't get that message, start System Preferences and then select the Security & Privacy tab.

In the bottom left hand corner of the Security & Privacy tab you'll see a lock. Click on it and enter your computer password. In the Security & Privacy tab there are two window panes, one to the left has a list of security items and there's a bigger one to the right. On the left pane scroll down to Screen Recording and select it (click on it). Now in the right window pane you do or will see the icon's of programs that need permissions granted. There is a check mark box by each icon. Click on the box to check the item. Now it has permission. Close the Security & Privacy tab and you are finished.

Feb 18, 2020 11:32 AM in response to sparrow444

Holy tomatoes. It solved itself.

Frustrated, I opened Quicktime to see if *it* could still screen capture as I have often been able to do. Quicktime needed new permission to access keystrokes (?), so I said, sure, take me to System preferences... where OBS was on the list for Screen Recordings.

Now, Quicktime isn't in the list... but I'll save them for another day.

Mac 10.15.3 System Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.