You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 2011 as display monitor with Macbook Pro 2017

I am trying to connect my 21.5 inch mid 2011 imac to my macbook pro 2017 so I can use the imac as a monitor. I have tried the Techdoty usbC to mini display port cable but it didn't work. I went to the apple store and the guy sold me a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter. He said I could use my firewire cable to attach. Well that doesn't work because a firewire cable does not fit in a thunderbolt 2 adapter. Help!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 6:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 8:04 PM

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You need a Thunderbolt adapter

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

and a Thunderbolt 2 cable. (Mini DisplayPort won't work, even though the plugs are the same as Thunderbolt.)

Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White - Apple

Plug the Thunderbolt 3 end of the adapter into the MacBook Pro and connect the Thunderbolt 2 cable from the adapter to the iMac.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2020 8:04 PM in response to Katypiz

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

You need a Thunderbolt adapter

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

and a Thunderbolt 2 cable. (Mini DisplayPort won't work, even though the plugs are the same as Thunderbolt.)

Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - White - Apple

Plug the Thunderbolt 3 end of the adapter into the MacBook Pro and connect the Thunderbolt 2 cable from the adapter to the iMac.

Feb 27, 2020 8:37 PM in response to Jeff Donald

It was dropped from hardware support in all iMac models after 2014, and from the software after High Sierra 10.13.6.

"Note: Target Display Mode isn’t supported on iMac models with Retina display. Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode."

"Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later."

Use you iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Feb 27, 2020 7:04 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I just bought the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter. What do I do with it? What kind of cable can I use? Between the first mini display cable and the apple adapter I'm already out $70. and it still doesn't work. I realize it is a computer and not a monitor but I keep reading how they can be used as monitors and this huge computer is sitting on my desk, might as well make use of it.

imac 2011 as display monitor with Macbook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.