You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to use my iMac (late 2009) as a monitor for a MacBook pro (mid 2012)

Can I connect my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) to my late 2009 27" iMac using an HDMI to mini display port cord? I thought that is what I read to do online and purchased it and it does not do anything when I do cmmd+ f2.

If that is not the cord to use, I've looked for a thunderbolt to mini display port cord and don't think it exists? Can I use a thunderbolt to thunderbolt in this case even though the iMac only has a mini display port input?

What cord do I need to purchase to use my imac as a display monitor for my macbook pro?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 1:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 1:20 PM

A straight Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable between the two should do the trick.

for one example, see > https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Mini-DisplayPort-Black/dp/B00HNF0L2C

4 replies

Trying to use my iMac (late 2009) as a monitor for a MacBook pro (mid 2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.