You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 1st gen and powermac streaming content

I have a powermac G5 running leopard 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.6.3. I was wondering if I could stream content on my G5 to the apple TV.

I know the apple tv 1 has been cut off from the itunes store and the like with the security protocol changes apple made to the store but would it work over my home network with media that's stored on the g5 via home share or something.

Appreciate any help :)

Posted on Mar 11, 2020 12:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 1:56 AM

Home Sharing of non-DRM content (home videos etc) should work with an old equipment and old software setup.

DRM'ed movies from the iTunes Store, including downloaded and home shared ones, will seek additional contact with the Store for verification, and that communication from ATV1 will fail, thus refusing playback of such titles.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2020 1:56 AM in response to gadgetmansam

Home Sharing of non-DRM content (home videos etc) should work with an old equipment and old software setup.

DRM'ed movies from the iTunes Store, including downloaded and home shared ones, will seek additional contact with the Store for verification, and that communication from ATV1 will fail, thus refusing playback of such titles.

Apple TV 1st gen and powermac streaming content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.