You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail crashing

iMac (2007) OSX 10.11.6. Mail (9.3 3124) crashes every time I start the machine from cold, almost immediately. The reported error is:

uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: '*** -[__NSArrayM objectAtIndex:]: index 9223372036854775807 beyond bounds [0 .. 4]'

abort() called

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Mail is OK after re-opening. Anyone any idea what's gone wrong?

Thanks all.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 12, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2020 8:56 AM

From experimentation it seems that the rapid departure of Mail only happens during the startup; if I start Mail after all the initial procedures have finished, it does not crash. An oddity and a nuisance, but one can work around it, so I call that a solution.

15 replies

Mar 12, 2020 11:09 AM in response to Gerald1409

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Mar 12, 2020 10:58 AM in response to BDAqua

I don't get the chance! It crashes about ten seconds after I start it up after firing up the machine from cold. I restart it, then it's OK for the rest of the day. Very odd. I also suspected a hardware issue, possibly a memory shortage, as the machine uses most of the memory during startup. That's my best guess for now; I'm going to try to not start Mail until the startup processes have finished and cleared from RAM, and see what that does. It's just tedious rather than terminal, but may encourage me to go and buy a new iMac!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 15, 2020 10:58 AM in response to BDAqua

Sad to report my previous assumption was not the answer! Mail crashed on me again after having been running for over 30 minutes, with not much running apart from Safari and Activity Monitor. There doesn't seem to be any support for this type of problem, so it looks like I'll just have to live with it or use another email application.

Apr 7, 2020 7:48 PM in response to Gerald1409

I have the same problems with Mail, except it crashes multiple times during mail application running. This is on a 2017 iMac with 10.12.6. This issue started one year ago (machine was fine for first 2 years), and I can't think of a triggering incident, i.e., no change in hardware or software configuration that I know of. Some Photoshop updates over the years, but that's about all.

Apr 21, 2020 12:34 PM in response to Gerald1409

I have a similar error and Apple mail crashes on me multiple times a day. Here is my error message.

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: '*** -[__NSArrayM objectAtIndex:]: index 9223372036854775807 beyond bounds [0 .. 1]'

abort() called

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Mac Pro (Early 2009) OS X v10.11.6

May 14, 2020 11:50 AM in response to BDAqua

I've been having the same problem and error message for about the last 3 months, only for me it's during composing or sending a new message. Almost always exits immediately after sending an email, or during composing an email. Pretty predictable now. The good thing is that the in progress composition comes back mostly intact when the app is restarted. Frustrating though.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, High Sierra 10.13.6

May 14, 2020 5:31 PM in response to dwfoster

Read on another website that you can delete _individual_ mails in your Trash folder without causing a crash if you highlight them one at a time and use the "Delete" key. In testing, I have found that this does work pretty much all the time. Kinda a pain, but it does seem to work for me. Exceptions: Mail still crashes for me in the same instances you list, i.e., while composing a new email or sending one.

Jun 11, 2020 5:06 AM in response to Gerald1409

I am having EXACTLY the same problem with the very same error message as Gerald1409.

iMac (2011) OSX 10.11.6 Mail "Quits unexpectedly" multiple times, starting very soon after startup.

It just began doing this in the last 10 days, and never really had the problem before.

No additions to the systems, and nothing I can think of to create any difference when it started.

Mail crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.