You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal microphone is not working

I've had my macbook air for a while already and I only realize now that my mic isn't working.

I've only needed to use the mic when I was using facetime so far. And I never have a problem then.

However when i tried to skype I noticed my mic wasn't working. That when I also tried to record a video using my macbook and it didn't work either

When I go to sound, it seems t recognize the internal mic as it shows up, but it doesn't register any sound at the input level. However, if have this open when I am facetiming the input level seems to register sounds then.

I don't understand why my mic is only working when I am using facetime. I think at some point a long time in the beginning it might have worked but maybe after a update it didnt?

Can somebody help me fix this? Or anyone with similar problems?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 2:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 3:06 AM

Reset PRAM:  Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset  SMC:   How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support   Choose the appropriate method.

Startup in Safe mode. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

To leave Safe Mode, click  in the menu bar and choose “Restart”

Similar questions

1 reply

Internal microphone is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.