You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can’t move or copy a file or folder to my Macintosh HD

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to the latest version of Catalina. Previous to this upgrade I had several folders on the Macintsoh HD (same level as System, Applications...). But after this upgrade, can not move my folders back (or create a new folder) to this location. Admin is only Read Only (just like my iMac) which is still on Mojave and I can move and create folders at this level. Using the Admin account, I can not change the permissions for admin to Read & Write. What happened/changed? How can I change this back to allow folders to be created there at this level? thanks

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 9:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 9:47 PM

Catalina now has two volumes: one is Mac HD which is read only, has the OS and system, and is "locked" for safety so no one can make any changes; the other volume is Mac HD - Data which contains your apps and files and which is read/write. You can only make changes to your User folder. FWIW, it is best not to make changes to the system level anyway - use your User folder instead.

The only way to change any of that would be to erase the entire disk and reinstall an earlier version/backup you made before upgrading.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 28, 2020 9:47 PM in response to canfam

Catalina now has two volumes: one is Mac HD which is read only, has the OS and system, and is "locked" for safety so no one can make any changes; the other volume is Mac HD - Data which contains your apps and files and which is read/write. You can only make changes to your User folder. FWIW, it is best not to make changes to the system level anyway - use your User folder instead.

The only way to change any of that would be to erase the entire disk and reinstall an earlier version/backup you made before upgrading.

can’t move or copy a file or folder to my Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.