You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight has stopped working on a folder — why?

I have a folder with PDF files that I used to access using spotlight to find certain references. This has stopped working. I have added and removed the folder to 'do not index' in Privacy (as per Apple instructions) but that hasn't helped.

I have also tried to totally reset Spotlight from the command line:

sudo mdutil -s -a -v -E

The md activity went up in Activity Monitor and 12 hours later I tried again, but Spotlight still does not work with the contents of that folder. The PDF's are perfectly searchable.

I don't know what to do.

Mojave, fully up to date.

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 2:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2020 8:15 PM

To rebuild the Spotlight index please read How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support.

sudo mdutil -s -a -v -E

I don't know what effect that will have.

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 30, 2020 2:50 PM in response to Gerben Wierda

OK, it gets a bit weirder. When I copy the contents of the folder (the manuals for ConTeXt) from its original location /usr/local/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals to ~/Downloads/TestFolder they are indexed and found by Spotlight.

But not in their original location. Why? And how do I fix this, because I want the manuals and such in /usr/local to be found.

Spotlight has stopped working on a folder — why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.