You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue Snowball mic no longer recognised.

Suddenly, from one day to the next, the Blue Snowball mic was not recognised by my Mac. I have version 10.14.5 . I use the mic intermittently, and it has always worked fine. Now suddenly... pouf! I finished a project one day and its gone now I want to start a new one. It does not show up as an input device in System Preferences -> Sound . I have rammed the USB connection in almost to breaking point, so I know it is not loose, then tried different ones - anyway the power is good as the red light comes on. From previous posts I see I am not the only one with this problem. Surely this is not built in obsolescence? That's criminal these days when we want to reduce our consumption of the world's resources.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 8:28 AM

Howdy Ixobel,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out in Apple Support Communities. I understand an external microphone does not appear in "Input" within System Preferences for Sound.

Relying on your Mac to use additional accessories, such as the microphone is important to fully enjoy your device. I'll be happy to help.

To help troubleshoot this issue, I recommend to reset both the NVRAM (nonvolatile random-access memory) and the system management controller (SMC) on your Mac. Performing these steps will reset the power to the USB ports, sound volume and more. Here's two helpful articles with additional details and how perform each step:

1. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac
  2. How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Please let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 22, 2020 8:28 AM in response to Ixobel

Howdy Ixobel,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out in Apple Support Communities. I understand an external microphone does not appear in "Input" within System Preferences for Sound.

Relying on your Mac to use additional accessories, such as the microphone is important to fully enjoy your device. I'll be happy to help.

To help troubleshoot this issue, I recommend to reset both the NVRAM (nonvolatile random-access memory) and the system management controller (SMC) on your Mac. Performing these steps will reset the power to the USB ports, sound volume and more. Here's two helpful articles with additional details and how perform each step:

1. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac
  2. How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Please let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Apr 24, 2020 12:48 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Thanks for caring Joseph, and giving me what seems an extremely comprehensive reply.

I will do that - but I have so many other projects going on I hardly dare leave them to head off into such uncharted waters.

But when the full meaning of NV and P and SMC are familiar to me I will go there and be able to click on one of the other buttons.

As Columbus once said (in a film) 'It's easy when you know how'

Happy days!

Blue Snowball mic no longer recognised.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.