You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Macs from sharing desktops

Because we're now educating at home, my daughter is using my MacBook Pro; I'm using the family iMac - both are signed in with my AppleID. The desktop files on my computer are showing up on hers - and vice versa. What is the best way to avoid this? She has an AppleID - should I sign her in instead of me? Or is there a better solution? Thanks in advance - and stay safe and well!

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 6:02 PM

She should have her own account on the Mac she use...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin or managed account for her, log out & into the new account.

Change your login password.

6 replies

Apr 25, 2020 8:40 PM in response to Bryan_Padrick

Both Macs are signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network , even you create a new admin account on your daughter Mac ( in users and groups ) , it doesn't make sense the file sharing will be continued .

Changing login password is for individual Mac has nothing to do , you can change it multiple times ( the admin password is to control the individual Mac ) .

You can change read and write permissions to view the files when both Mac are signed in with same Apple ID and password see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mh17131/mac

Stop Macs from sharing desktops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.