You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple expands tools to help businesses connect with customers. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any experience using sidecar in a lab setting?

I have used sidecar successfully with my iPad and iMac and find it to be a very useful tool. I run a computer lab with 16 computers and I'm considering investing in iPads to be used as a second display (among other things). However, I wonder if pairing multiple iMacs with multiple iPads all in the same room may cause confusion since they connect via WiFi. Is it possible to assign 1 iPad to only 1 computer? Or is it possible to run sidecar using the USB cable connection only? If it could work as well as it does with a single computer and a single iPad, it would be a great option for a digital classroom, but it seems too good to be true. Thoughts?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 4:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 7:22 PM

Hello kbelbrooks,

I have not tried using sidecar in a lab setting, it seems to me what you want to do will work. If you name each iPad a unique name, perhaps something similar to the desktop you want to connect it to, then you should be able to select from the list. I have several iPad devices and I see them in the list and I make a choice as to which one to use.

USB cable, again this should work for you and it will help keep them charged when connected.

If you can get your hands on two or three iPad devices give it a try before making a large purchase. I don't see why it shouldn't work for you. You will also want to check to make sure your iMac will support sidecar; it depends on the year made and software it is running.

Best of luck and let us know your progress to help others.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 24, 2020 7:22 PM in response to kbelbrooks

Hello kbelbrooks,

I have not tried using sidecar in a lab setting, it seems to me what you want to do will work. If you name each iPad a unique name, perhaps something similar to the desktop you want to connect it to, then you should be able to select from the list. I have several iPad devices and I see them in the list and I make a choice as to which one to use.

USB cable, again this should work for you and it will help keep them charged when connected.

If you can get your hands on two or three iPad devices give it a try before making a large purchase. I don't see why it shouldn't work for you. You will also want to check to make sure your iMac will support sidecar; it depends on the year made and software it is running.

Best of luck and let us know your progress to help others.

Any experience using sidecar in a lab setting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.