You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos

When I open photos I get this error message which I have never had before until today

Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”

What can I do please?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 5:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 7:48 PM

If your search doesn’t succeed, you can create a new Photos library. To create a new Library, launch Photos while holding down the Option key. Starting this way will also list all Libraries that Photos can find on your system.

If you do create a new library, set its preferences as your System Photo Library and activate iCloud Photo Library. This will (slowly) download all your photos from iCloud Photo Library.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 26, 2020 7:48 PM in response to JG277

If your search doesn’t succeed, you can create a new Photos library. To create a new Library, launch Photos while holding down the Option key. Starting this way will also list all Libraries that Photos can find on your system.

If you do create a new library, set its preferences as your System Photo Library and activate iCloud Photo Library. This will (slowly) download all your photos from iCloud Photo Library.

Apr 26, 2020 5:55 PM in response to JG277

You need to find the Photos Library.photoslibrary file and then double-click on it. This will link it back to the Photos app.

The Photos Library file is normally in your user Home folder, in a Pictures sub-folder. You might have accidentally, or purposefully, moved it somewhere else, for example to an external drive.

photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.