You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents missing / deleted after Catalina update

After installing the new Catalina software, the contents of my Documents folder have disappeared? After looking at the storage on my computer they are still registered as being on the computer only now categorised in the 'Other' section?

As well as this, the Documents folder has been removed from my Dock, instead being replaced by an iCloud Drive folder. I am unable to find any of the documents on my Computer. Everything else on my computer (downloads, music, notes, apps, etc.) have remained so I am confused as to what's happened?

What can I do to get these files back, as they seem to be on my computer still based off of what my storage is saying?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 14, 2020 12:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2020 1:58 PM

If you click through the Setup Assistant without paying attention to the questions, it will turn on Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive.

Look in iCloud Drive for your Desktop and Documents folders. They are still on your Mac, but synchronized on iCloud Drive.

3 replies

Documents missing / deleted after Catalina update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.