You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when i set up a hard drive as a time machine, does it automatically delete all the previous data?

please help

i am kinda new to this whole time machine

and i dont remember being asked whether if i used the hard drive as time machine, all the data in the drive would be erased

i lost all my photos in the drive :(

is there any way i could recover the photos?

when i open my hard drive, theres just 1 folder named "backups.backupdb" and then another folder that has my macbook's name on it, and a file that says "2020-05-17-202450.inProgress" and i cant click on it.

says i need to download something from the appstore to open it / look it up on web

please help

thank you !!!

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on May 17, 2020 7:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 10:00 AM

It sounds like the backup didn’t complete, hence ‘inprogress’. You need to plug the drive back in and resume the backup.

This should help

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Similar questions

1 reply

when i set up a hard drive as a time machine, does it automatically delete all the previous data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.