You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I get a version WatchOS 4 download for my first generation Apple Watch?

Where can I get a version WatchOS 4 download so I can complete an upgrade to my first generation Apple Watch that has been reset?

Also, how do I do the update when I get that version?

Posted on May 17, 2020 11:40 PM

6 replies

May 18, 2020 8:06 AM in response to Funguy2017

From the Watch app on my iPhone 6S, I am instructed "To update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone.".

There is a link below that to "Go to software update settings".

When I go to settings, it shows that my IOS software is up to date at iOS 13.4.1.

I am caught in this endless cycle because I need to update the watch using a previous version of IOS with the pervious version of Watch OS back to version 4 and not the current version.

Is there some other alternative?

Also, once the Apple stores open, do you think they might have a downgraded device for me to load up WatchOS 4?

May 18, 2020 8:32 AM in response to 4everIOS

This is becoming a bigger problem every day,ios13 doesn't seem to like watches with watchos5 or below,here are the solutions from other forum members.

Quote;

Apple watch 2;

I found a friend, who was on iOS 12 and used his iPhone to pair. Before pairing it asked to upgrade the watch OS (iOS 13 didn't offer this option). After I upgraded the watchos I unpaired the watch from the ios12 phone and then was able to pair it with any iPhone running iOS 13.

Quote;

1st gen apple watch;

pairing was successful on the following device (with associated OS)

to pair via bluetooth I used an iphone 7 with iOS 12, after pairing immediately accepted the watchOS update to version 4.3.2 after everything was successfully equipped with the last update, unpaired the iPhone and the Apple Watch a reset (factory settings) all this took some time but afterwards pairing on an iPhone XR with iOS13 g was a piece of cake.

Quote;

May 9, 2020 4:58 AM in response to Hashimsabbah

Just did this with a series1. I had to pair with the original phone and update the firmware for me to pair correctly. All I did was ask to pair and the update happened on an iPhone 6.

Quote;

Jan 28, 2020 7:48 PM in response to Jimmycon

I ended up having to reboot my entire watch. Clear it and then connect to an older phone that was running OS 12- resyncing my watch with that phone. Updating the apple watch through that phone and THEN removing the sync with the old phone- resyncing to my current iphone 11.....that worked. I hate apple

Find a phone with ios12 on it and pair your watch to it,it will ask you to update the watch select yes,after it has updated unpair the watch from the ios12 phone and then pair it with your ios13 phone.

Now you can update to watchos6.

Where can I get a version WatchOS 4 download for my first generation Apple Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.