You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive

I bought recently an IMac and I would like to purchase an external hard drive to back it up.

2 suggestions, if possible:

what brand would you recommend?

iMac has a storage of 1TB, shall I buy an hard drive with same capacity or more i.e. 2TB?

thank you all in advance.

Posted on May 20, 2020 2:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 6:30 AM

Any reputable brand will work (Just don't use/install any preloaded software on the drives. That usually isn't needed and sometimes causes performance problems).

If you are using TimeMachine the backup drive should be at least 2-3x as large as the drive being backed up so it can save a history of incremental changes rather than only the latest copy.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2020 6:30 AM in response to JohnGiorgio

Any reputable brand will work (Just don't use/install any preloaded software on the drives. That usually isn't needed and sometimes causes performance problems).

If you are using TimeMachine the backup drive should be at least 2-3x as large as the drive being backed up so it can save a history of incremental changes rather than only the latest copy.

May 20, 2020 7:01 AM in response to JohnGiorgio

Most experienced users on these forums would recommend an OWC Mercury Elite Pro. These are available in a variety of capacities, and the general rule of thumb is 2-3 times the capacity of the drive(s) you will be backing up. For example:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QH7T2.0/

If you are outside of the USA, their resellers and distributors are listed in OWC International Resellers

External hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.