You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I determine the storage capacity I need on an external drive?

I want to use an external drive (USB or Thunderbolt) to back up my Mac using Time Machine. How do I determine the storage capacity I need on the external drive? Any recommendations on a specific drive to use or a Brand? Thank you.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 2:14 PM

ozziemandius wrote:

I want to use an external drive (USB or Thunderbolt) to back up my Mac using Time Machine. How do I determine the storage capacity I need on the external drive? Any recommendations on a specific drive to use or a Brand? Thank you.

2.5 - 3 X the size of your internal storage is recommended

Back up your Mac Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

There are literally 100's of choices in brand names etc— there is no best.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/21.0/mac/12.0

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2022 2:14 PM in response to ozziemandius

ozziemandius wrote:

2.5 - 3 X the size of your internal storage is recommended

Back up your Mac Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

There are literally 100's of choices in brand names etc— there is no best.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/21.0/mac/12.0

How do I determine the storage capacity I need on an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.