You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New mac but want to use time machine and erase old mac files

I have a new mac and want to use time machine. I have an external drive that I used for the old mac. I want to use that external drive for my new mac. I chose not to inherit old backups when I first used time machine for new machine and now I think it's keeping the backups for the old machine because there's not enough space for a backup now. I don't want to keep the old backups from the old machine. Do I have to reformat the external drive or something? If the answer is yes, please give instructions. If it's something else, please also give instructions. Much appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 27, 2020 1:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 27, 2020 3:03 AM

Yes, just erase (format) the drive and when you plug it into your new iMac it will ask if you want to use it for TM How to erase a disk for Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

New mac but want to use time machine and erase old mac files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.