You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave 10.14.6 Messages won't select text

This just started after the recent automatic upgrade to Mojave 10.14.6

In (now) Messages 12.0 I can no longer use the mouse to select text. When I click on any text in any message, the message and background change to new shades of grey and up pops a bubble of icons.

I'm sure the bubble of icons is some wonderful new feature, and I hope there's some way to turn it off.

Anyone know how?

--Gil

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 31, 2020 2:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 10:04 AM

Hey there, Gil,

Thanks for asking about selecting text in Messages on your Mac. I'm happy to help!

It sounds like you're bringing up Tapbacks, which are quick responses you can leave on a message. While they cannot be turned off, Tapbacks are only accessed by control- or right-clicking on the message: Use Messages with your Mac - Apple Support.

You should still be able to highlight text in Messages with a mouse by holding left-click as you scroll over the text you wish to select. From there, you can copy and paste the text: Keyboard shortcuts in Messages on Mac - Apple Support.

Best.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2020 10:04 AM in response to Gil Dawson

Hey there, Gil,

Thanks for asking about selecting text in Messages on your Mac. I'm happy to help!

It sounds like you're bringing up Tapbacks, which are quick responses you can leave on a message. While they cannot be turned off, Tapbacks are only accessed by control- or right-clicking on the message: Use Messages with your Mac - Apple Support.

You should still be able to highlight text in Messages with a mouse by holding left-click as you scroll over the text you wish to select. From there, you can copy and paste the text: Keyboard shortcuts in Messages on Mac - Apple Support.

Best.

Mojave 10.14.6 Messages won't select text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.