You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to icloud already stored photos when you activate icloud photos to Photos app on a mac?

I have some 9000 pics on the iCloud from iphone camera roll...

The i also use phtos on my Macwhere i have some pics also included on my wexisting icloud library.

Now i want to merge those two, and i was thinkingto enable icloud photos on my mac too...

Will this merge the two libraries or the one willoverwrite the other??

Thank you.

Yannis

iPhone XR

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 7:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2020 10:36 PM

It will merge the three instances of the library (iPhone Photos, iCloud Photos, and Mac Photos). All should be the same after uploading and downloading are complete; future additions, edits, and deletions will be made in all three instances as needed to keep them in sync.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 2, 2020 11:44 PM in response to ToGiannio

As Mark said. I just want to encourage you to make current backups of your Photos Libraries, before you start the upload, so you can revert to the current version, if there should be a problem.

I am using iCloud Photos on five macs, with different models and system version, an iPhone, two iPads and the libraries are merged in iCloud.

iCloud is solving conflicts between duplicate photos in the separate libraries, so no duplicate originals will be created. But you may be seeing duplicate edited versions, if you have added different adjustments or different titles on your two devices. It will depend on the system versions on your devices, if the named faces will sync across devices. And I had occasionally the problem that turning on iCloud Photos on an iPhone or iPad caused the albums to vanish on my mac. In such cases it is essential to have a current backup.

Jun 3, 2020 4:21 AM in response to ToGiannio

Both your iPhone and your mac should be connected to Wi-Fi, the iPhone connected to a power source.

You should start the Photos.app to kick off the background processes. Photos will sync with iCloud when it is running in the background and you are not using it. You can minimise the window in the Dock or keep it open. But do not interact with it.

What happens to icloud already stored photos when you activate icloud photos to Photos app on a mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.