You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete Catalina installer

I changed my mind on installing Catalina, choosing instead to download Mojave. But when I try to install mojave, it opens the Catalina installer and tells me it cannot be deleted because it is open. How do I close it so I can delete it?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 10:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 10:48 AM

Activate the installer's window, then press Command-Q.

Press Command-Option-ESC, select the installer's entry in the list, then click on the Force Quit button.

Now, drag the installer app to the Trash. Note that you cannot install Mojave unless you already have Mojave installed or a previous version of macOS. If you have Catalina installed, then you need to erase the disk before you can install Mojave - How to Downgrade from macOS Catalina to Mojave or Earlier.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 12, 2020 10:48 AM in response to gilsdtr

Activate the installer's window, then press Command-Q.

Press Command-Option-ESC, select the installer's entry in the list, then click on the Force Quit button.

Now, drag the installer app to the Trash. Note that you cannot install Mojave unless you already have Mojave installed or a previous version of macOS. If you have Catalina installed, then you need to erase the disk before you can install Mojave - How to Downgrade from macOS Catalina to Mojave or Earlier.

Cannot delete Catalina installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.