You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud does not sync photos on Windows 10

I have a 50GB subscription to iCloud largely to enable my photos to sync between iPad, iPhone and Win10 Pro PC. It's been months now and the Win10 Pro sync does not happen at all. My photos make it to the iCloud (but of course the iCloud app is essentially useless for managing this content) and the photos do not download or sync to the PC. Options are either grayed out in iCloud app or missing altogether. Any ideas, you geniuses? Thanks!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 10:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 12:35 PM

As Jacobjs01 notes below, the current version of iCloud for WIn10 doesn't match your description. You cannot select "iCloud Photo Library" after clicking options. Nor can you select "My Photo Stream" or iCloud Photo Sharing (Shared Albumns) Your information and the Apple support website need to be updated. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205323 is wrong.

Also, when I plug in my powered iPhone 8, a Win10 "Photos" app window pops open and a dialog box begins to connect it to the iphone. When I select "Apple iPhone" for the connection, a box indicates that the app is looking for photos and videos, and finds over 1000 of them. No further activity takes place, however. Normally, one would expect the app to transfer new photos. It does not. The window hangs and the app freezes. Cancelling is not possible so Control-Alt-Delete, Baby!

The only thing that works is to open the iphone storage area as a windows explorer folder and navigate down through the folder structure until I find folders within Apple iPhone / Internal Storage / DCIM / named something like 106APPLE and 112CLOUD. Within these folders are videos and photos captured and saved to the iPhone. Cumbersome and slow, to say the least. It doesn't help that the iPhone connects through this mechanism only sporadically. You need to wake the phone with your password or thumbprint to proceed.

-G4Guy07

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 22, 2020 12:35 PM in response to jeremy_v

As Jacobjs01 notes below, the current version of iCloud for WIn10 doesn't match your description. You cannot select "iCloud Photo Library" after clicking options. Nor can you select "My Photo Stream" or iCloud Photo Sharing (Shared Albumns) Your information and the Apple support website need to be updated. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205323 is wrong.

Also, when I plug in my powered iPhone 8, a Win10 "Photos" app window pops open and a dialog box begins to connect it to the iphone. When I select "Apple iPhone" for the connection, a box indicates that the app is looking for photos and videos, and finds over 1000 of them. No further activity takes place, however. Normally, one would expect the app to transfer new photos. It does not. The window hangs and the app freezes. Cancelling is not possible so Control-Alt-Delete, Baby!

The only thing that works is to open the iphone storage area as a windows explorer folder and navigate down through the folder structure until I find folders within Apple iPhone / Internal Storage / DCIM / named something like 106APPLE and 112CLOUD. Within these folders are videos and photos captured and saved to the iPhone. Cumbersome and slow, to say the least. It doesn't help that the iPhone connects through this mechanism only sporadically. You need to wake the phone with your password or thumbprint to proceed.

-G4Guy07

Jun 21, 2020 7:14 AM in response to G4guy07

Hello G4guy07,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! It looks like you're having some issues with iCloud Photos for Windows, and I'd like to do what I can to help out.

Check out this article to verify that iCloud Photos on your PC is still set up correctly: Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC

This article has troubleshooting steps to follow, If your iCloud Photos aren't loading on your PC

Take care!

iCloud does not sync photos on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.