You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

True meaning of IP68 Rating of the iPhone Xs series?

I have an iPhone Xs that was recently dropped into a bathroom sink full of water, was immediately removed, dried out but the screen failed and it "died" after an hour. I just came back from a consultation at a Apple Store's Genius Bar where I was told that my only option would be to replace for $550.

Why isn't it covered under the IP68 rating? Per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043, "iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 2 meters up to 30 minutes)"

What's particularly confusing is that during the 2018 unveil, Phil Schiller specifically noted that if you happen to walk by the pool and accidentally drop your phone in the water, then it'll be fine - https://youtu.be/wFTmQ27S7OQ?t=2433. My water in my bathroom sink is < 0.2m deep so seems like either the IP68 rating or Phil's hypothetical scenario misrepresented the device's true water resistance capability.

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 4:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 5:07 PM

See -> About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

The reality is the IP67 and IP68 rating is never a guarantee against water damage. It merely indicates a rated device is more likely to survive water damage than an un-rated device. But it is never a guarantee. Despite all the seals and protection, there are far too many holes for water intrusion on any smart phone to guarantee against water damage.

The very few smart phones available in the market that warranty against water damage all have manually removed and engaged physical seals or plugs over all openings. You literally have to remove the microphone and earpiece plugs to make or receive a call, and then put them back in place to assure no water can get in.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 25, 2020 5:07 PM in response to pau1pan

See -> About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

The reality is the IP67 and IP68 rating is never a guarantee against water damage. It merely indicates a rated device is more likely to survive water damage than an un-rated device. But it is never a guarantee. Despite all the seals and protection, there are far too many holes for water intrusion on any smart phone to guarantee against water damage.

The very few smart phones available in the market that warranty against water damage all have manually removed and engaged physical seals or plugs over all openings. You literally have to remove the microphone and earpiece plugs to make or receive a call, and then put them back in place to assure no water can get in.

Jun 26, 2020 8:31 AM in response to Michael Black

Suing would be the last resort option and definitely not preferable. Though given the phone is $1000 and a small claims filing fee is about $50, ROI isn’t too bad.

The underlying issue is really about feeling the IP68 was hyped up or overrated. Sure there are caveats and I don’t expect to go swimming with the device, but I expected it to survive a brief visit to my bathroom sink - especially when Phil’s presentation showed a person retrieving his phone underwater. Water resistance may not have been the main reason I purchased the device, but it was certainly a factor and had expected a $1000 device to live up to its billing.

Jun 26, 2020 9:46 AM in response to Michael Black

It is disingenuous for the marketeers to claim this then say

It is not permanent

It is not warranted

They would be better not making a thing of it.

It says 1 metre for up to 30 minutes.

I thought the world had gone past this but it even displays this untruth in my country where misleading adverts are supposed to be illegal. On this I am totally unsupportive of Apple's ad men.

Jun 25, 2020 5:15 PM in response to pau1pan

Those figures are based on laboratory testing under controlled conditions.

Unfortunately, too many people don't understand what it means. I'm also not crazy about the way Apple advertises it as though it is not technically false, it is misleading.

The best comparison for water resistance ratings is watches.

A watch rated at anything less than 30 Meters of water resistance should never be submerged. It will almost certainly be ruined. A watch rated at 50 Meters is ok for splashing around in a kiddie pool, but I wouldn't go swimming with one on.

You shouldn't go swimming or snorkeling with anything rated at less than 100M, and you should really have something rated at 200M with a screw down crown if you're snorkeling.

The phone is tested to 2 meters. Compare that to the above... It can withstand (usually) having a beer spilled on it if you pick it up and dry it off right away. That's about it.

Jun 25, 2020 5:34 PM in response to KiltedTim

The difference I would say to true professional dive watches, is they are actually pressure tested and rated. In other words, an actual dive rated watch rated to 100 meters is put in a hyperbaric chamber full of seawater and pressurized to 10 atmospheres for some period of time and then subsequently checked for water intrusion. And it will come with some recommended service period where it should be serviced and seals replaced and retested to maintain that rating. So a high end dive whatcha comes with a pressure rating, not merely some coded resistance rating. And expensive dive watches are all individually tested at the factory, not sample batch tested like consumer IP rated devices are.

There is a huge difference between a device pressure tested for a given depth equivalent rating and a consumer water resistance rating test. It’s apples to oranges.

In graduate school I worked with a stereo camera housing rated for 4000 meters depth (a bit shy of 400 atmospheres pressure). We replaced and serviced all the seals on that housing before every single dive, following the manufacturers service protocol. Even then I remember the documentation never referred to “water proof”. It merely referred to the pressure rating based on factory testing prior to shipment (legalize phrases like “will resist water intrusion if not subject to a pressure greater than X or equivalent sea depth of y”).

Jun 25, 2020 7:36 PM in response to Michael Black

I don’t disagree that there are semantics and fine details of how IP68 rating. Ultimately there are limits to these devices when it comes to waterproofing or water resistance. It might just be bad luck that my iPhone XS did not survive a brief visit to the bathroom sink whereas an identical device belonging to someone else would fare much better.

But if my device is an outlier and most iPhone XS would live up to the claims made by Phil Schiller and the IP68 rating, then that means my device is a lemon and doesn’t live up to the standard. In this situation, I feel like it would be warranted to give me a replacement since my device would be considered a “lemon”.

So I’d have to agree with KiltedTim that at best this is a case of unintentionally misleading by Apple. Worst case it’s false advertising, especially when your SVP of Marketing boasts publicly on stage that it would survive a dip in a swimming pool.

Jun 26, 2020 12:37 AM in response to pau1pan

I tried to get my Se*ko watch retailer to take out the "water resistant to 30m" off their website by British trading standards but they said it was an international understanding and everyone knows that 30m meant splashproof.

It also had it in the handbook so my misty watch was doomed. (I wore it in the shower!)

Jun 26, 2020 10:36 AM in response to LD150

Having collected watches for quite a while anyone who has done that endeavor knows the rating (which came from the watch world is neither misleading nor illegal. There are much higher ratings for watches such as the Omega and Rolex submariners and other dive watches. Some of those models have limited warranties that actually do cover water damage (but not fully).

Those standards just show that the particular phone in question (brand new) was able to perform that test without failing. But Apple's (and every other smartphone maker's) warranty on IP67 and IP68 rated devices do not cover water damage. And it is true that seals fade over time on devices. I doubt a two year old iPhone could pass the IP67 test.

Everybody writes. here that they just dropped their phone from 2 feet onto plush carpeting, they dropped their phone into water and retrieved it in seconds, they only had two beers, and the check is in the mail. But there is no way to confirm that. The phone could. have been in the water for an hour. It could have been dropped from 8 feet into the water (there is no water pressure test with IP67 or IP68 so any water pressure at all, whether in a shower or dropping it in a sink exceeds the. specification). So it is best when purchasing a device skip the rating and go right to the warranty. If water damage is not covered do everything you can to keep it dry.

True meaning of IP68 Rating of the iPhone Xs series?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.