You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to connect a 30" Cinema display to a 2017 iMac with 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.The dual link adapter above only supports Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 . Is there an adapter? And will Thunderbolt 3 suppoort an additional monitor?

I'm trying to connect my 30" Cima Display to my 2017 iMac with two Thunderbolt 3 ports. The Apple dual link adaper only has a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 plug. Is there an adapter to connect Thunderbolt to Thunderrbolt 3? If so, I was just told Thunderbolt 3 won't support an additional monitor?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 1:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 11:55 PM

The Dual-Link DVI adapter uses Mini DisplayPort. not Thunderbolt. A Thunderbolt 3 adapter will not work for Mini DisplayPort.

You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. It will plug into one of the iMac's Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.

https://www.uptab.com/usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-graphite/

Don't forget to plug the Apple adapter's USB plug into the iMac.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2020 11:55 PM in response to 9650lb

The Dual-Link DVI adapter uses Mini DisplayPort. not Thunderbolt. A Thunderbolt 3 adapter will not work for Mini DisplayPort.

You need a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. It will plug into one of the iMac's Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports.

https://www.uptab.com/usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-graphite/

Don't forget to plug the Apple adapter's USB plug into the iMac.

Jul 1, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks, Malcolm, Great answer. Totally appreciated. I finally realized the adapter I bought was mini display port by the insignia on the connector, a square with a line on each side. This other adapter was recommended to me last night. Hope I didn't buy the wrong one again: Club CAC-1510-A USB C to Dual Link DVI-D Adapter HDCP Off for Apple Cinema Displays, 3840x2160@30hz, 2560x1600@60Hz

https://www.amazon.com/CAC-1510-Adapter-Displays-3840x2160-2560x1600/dp/B08B7FSVTL/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Club+CAC-1510-A+USB+C+to+Dual+Link+DVI-D+Adapter+HDCP+Off+for+Apple+Cinema+Displays%2C+3840x2160%4030hz%2C+2560x1600%4060Hz&qid=1593615181&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Jul 1, 2020 8:12 AM in response to 9650lb

That Club adapter looks like it should work. Note:

"For Apple OSX users, the resolution is hidden in the display options, you need to hold down the Option"key while changing the resolution, then the resolution 2560X1600 can be selected."

Don't forget to connect the display's USB cable to the iMac. You don't need to connect the FireWire cable.

Trying to connect a 30" Cinema display to a 2017 iMac with 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports.The dual link adapter above only supports Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 . Is there an adapter? And will Thunderbolt 3 suppoort an additional monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.