You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

21.5 inch iMac Late 2012 use as External Display

I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 that I'm trying to connect to my 21.5 inch iMac Late 2012 as an external display. I did some research and saw that I could use a HDMI to DisplayPort as a connector, but it does not work. Tried target display mode as well with it.

Im thinking I need thunderbolt to thunderbolt? Or would DisplayPort to DisplayPort work? Please let me know! Thanks.

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 4:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 5:07 PM

This was called Target Display Mode and was discontinued. However you can try assuming you are using a version of Mac OS prior to 10.14.x. You will need to connect the 2 computers using Thunderbolt cable. I would recommend reviewing Target Display Mode FAQ

I would recommend buying an external display, why....iMacs are computers and not external displays for other computers.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2020 5:07 PM in response to ahmed6789

This was called Target Display Mode and was discontinued. However you can try assuming you are using a version of Mac OS prior to 10.14.x. You will need to connect the 2 computers using Thunderbolt cable. I would recommend reviewing Target Display Mode FAQ

I would recommend buying an external display, why....iMacs are computers and not external displays for other computers.

Jul 4, 2020 11:24 AM in response to rkaufmann87

This iMac is compatible with TDM. It's no longer being used which is why I want to turn it into an external monitor. It's also running MacOS Sierra which meets the requirements.

I bought the Thunderbolt cable and after multiple attempts, it worked. I had to log out, restart the computer, and in the log-in menu, it worked once hitting Cmd+F2. When I unplugged it and tried the same steps again, it no longer worked. Not sure if it's an issue with the Thunderbolt ports in the computers, or a bug. Any ideas? Thanks!

21.5 inch iMac Late 2012 use as External Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.