You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 Mac Mini Connectivity Question

Simple question, I hope, for a flummoxed older user: I am replacing my trusty old late 2012 Mini with a new 2020 Mini. Obviously, the rear ports on the the Mini are different than the posts on the 2012 Mini.

I presently (on the 2012 Mini) use an EasyACC powered 7 port hub. The new Mini has only 2 USB-3 ports

to plug all of my peripherals into........can I simply use the existing USB-2 hub to plug into the new Mini USB 3 plug-in or will there be "issues"?

I also have an 2014-ish LG external DVD drive that plus directly into the rear of the 2012 Mini. Will that function if I plug into the new mini rear USB-3?

I'm using a Wacom Cintiq screen (about 6 years old) that is plugged directly into the 2012 mini using a VGA to Apple display adaptor w/o any problems. All of my other devices (dongles, external SSD drives, etc.) are plugged into the EasyAcc USB hub and work perfectly.

This should be simple BUT I haven't had to change or upgrade any device since 2014 or so.....being a tad older than several years back, I just want to be sure that everything will work as before regardless of which Mini is online....

Thanks to you all......seriously. Spoke with Apple Support and they suggested that I get Belkin USB 4 port hubs to plug everything together.........not sure if I have to.

Old and getting older...and NOT necessarily wiser!

Stay safe and well...

Steve

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 12:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2020 1:25 PM

Congrats on the new Mac Mini.

You can use the same USB 2.0 hub, but I would probable upgrade it to a USB 3.0 hub.

(FWIW the 2012 also has USB 3.0 ports and I use a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0 hub on both of my 2012 Mac Mini's)

You can also get and use a USB-C to USB 3.0 hub or some USB-C to USB adapters to expand the number of USB ports.

Yes USB 3.0 is backwards compatible and the DVD drive should work plugged into a USB 3.0 port, hub or USB-C adapter.

(FWIW my LG DVD drive doesn't care if it's plugged into the my Mac Mini's USB port or either of my USB hubs)

You may need to do some re-search to find out what USB-C adapter you need to connect the tablet.

Enjoy

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 19, 2020 1:25 PM in response to Slipstream 50

Congrats on the new Mac Mini.

You can use the same USB 2.0 hub, but I would probable upgrade it to a USB 3.0 hub.

(FWIW the 2012 also has USB 3.0 ports and I use a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0 hub on both of my 2012 Mac Mini's)

You can also get and use a USB-C to USB 3.0 hub or some USB-C to USB adapters to expand the number of USB ports.

Yes USB 3.0 is backwards compatible and the DVD drive should work plugged into a USB 3.0 port, hub or USB-C adapter.

(FWIW my LG DVD drive doesn't care if it's plugged into the my Mac Mini's USB port or either of my USB hubs)

You may need to do some re-search to find out what USB-C adapter you need to connect the tablet.

Enjoy

Jul 19, 2020 1:31 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks, Den.......that's a start. Never thought that this would be so bloody hard for me to figure out. I'll contact Wacom to see what they know about the Cintiq working with the USB 3 hub.....I can always plug it into the rear panel of the MINI but that then leave me only one USB 3 plugin to use for the hub......

Don't congratulate me on the new Mini until I get it all set up. Comes with OS Catalina and now that I bit the bullet and have AI CC and PS CC, the OS isn't that important to me. Previously with the old Mini, I was locked into no higher than El Capitan because some of my appls. were of the "owned" type NOT subscribed to, could NOT run on El Capitan........they've already been kissed goodbye in favor of the newer ones that HAVE to run on Catalina or higher.

As always, thanks and stay safe!

Steve

Jul 19, 2020 2:06 PM in response to Slipstream 50

Slipstream 50 wrote:

May I ask why, if the USB 2 hub may work with the new Mini's USB 3 plugs, would upgrading it to USB 3 help me? Faster data stream?

Only USB 3.0 and USB-C devises will be faster. USB 2.0 devices will only move data at USB 2.0 speed.

I may just set the new Mini up and see what happened if I try to use the old hub....can't hurt, I think, right?

Yes you should be able to move the hub along with all of the device plugged into it and plug it into the new Mac Mini.

2020 Mac Mini Connectivity Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.