You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download and watch via apple TV/ Airplay

Can i download a movie in itunes in HDR on my mac and then watch it on my big screen TV via apple TV/airplay? I have slow streaming speeds, but can download to a mac eventually... but I don't want to watch on my mac, I want to watch on my apple TV connected large screen via airplay. Can I do that? seems like maybe only in HDR, not 4K?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 7:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 7:39 PM

If your Mac is HDR capable, then you may be able to download an HDR version of a movie. HDR playback may be limited to the built-in display for some Mac models. You would not be able to download content from Apple in 4K resolution.

Play HDR video on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and watch movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos - Apple Support

Remember to turn off the AirPlay setting to stream from the cloud anyway, if your goal is to stream a local file, for items from the iTunes Store or Apple TV app Channel content.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2020 7:39 PM in response to watchlater

If your Mac is HDR capable, then you may be able to download an HDR version of a movie. HDR playback may be limited to the built-in display for some Mac models. You would not be able to download content from Apple in 4K resolution.

Play HDR video on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and watch movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos - Apple Support

Remember to turn off the AirPlay setting to stream from the cloud anyway, if your goal is to stream a local file, for items from the iTunes Store or Apple TV app Channel content.

Download and watch via apple TV/ Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.