You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get different software running on 2 external monitors connected to 2018 MacBook Air

I connected 2 external monitors to my 2018 MacBook Air. I want to run different programs simultaneously on each monitor. I've managed to get them working as an extended desktop but I can't figure how to get things working on different screens and the machine also seems to be battling - dock not responding, things freezing etc. Does anybody know how to make this work so that I can have different programs open on different monitors? Thankyou in advance

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 6:48 AM

If you have the extended desktop set up correctly, just drag the window for one of the apps onto the other monitor by dragging it off the edge of the one its on.

The edge you want to drag it off of, is the one that is set next to the other monitor in System Preferences->Display Arrangement:

In the case of the picture above, you would just want to drag it off the right edge of the Macbook and onto the left edge of the external display.

Dual monitors should not cause freezing issues. Did you setup the monitors as explained here: Use external monitors with your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 30, 2020 6:48 AM in response to emmet290

If you have the extended desktop set up correctly, just drag the window for one of the apps onto the other monitor by dragging it off the edge of the one its on.

The edge you want to drag it off of, is the one that is set next to the other monitor in System Preferences->Display Arrangement:

In the case of the picture above, you would just want to drag it off the right edge of the Macbook and onto the left edge of the external display.

Dual monitors should not cause freezing issues. Did you setup the monitors as explained here: Use external monitors with your Mac - Apple Support

How to get different software running on 2 external monitors connected to 2018 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.