You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know what legacy system extensions are affected on my MAC?

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 5:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 8:20 AM

There is nothing you need to do about this. It is app developers' responsibility to make sure their products keep up with computer makers' changes. You can't make the changes. Apple is simply giving you a heads-up about future changes.

To me, those advisories simply add evidence to consider as you decide whether a future system software update is appropriate for you.

See: About legacy system extensions - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2020 8:20 AM in response to deirdre2717

There is nothing you need to do about this. It is app developers' responsibility to make sure their products keep up with computer makers' changes. You can't make the changes. Apple is simply giving you a heads-up about future changes.

To me, those advisories simply add evidence to consider as you decide whether a future system software update is appropriate for you.

See: About legacy system extensions - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2020 5:28 AM in response to deirdre2717

You don’t need to worry about this until macOS 11 “Big Sur” is released later this year and there is no law that says you have to update to it either. As for legacy extensions you will receive a pop-up notification when one is encountered. Reputable developers will have already updated their products to comply with Big Sur’s requirements. If this still concerns you might wait awhile before installing Big Sur and keep a lookout for problems others might encounter.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.