You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confusion about Apple ID on newly purchased MacBook Pro

I have an iPad and iPhone and therefore an Apple ID. I just bought a MacBook Pro. When I set it up I think I was re-assigned a me.com user name for my Apple ID. What happened? The Mac wouldn't accept my actual Apple ID, but said that it had "found my user name, " @me.com. I continued with set up. Right now I can use my original Apple ID to buy a new app, but not to update the existing apps. I get an error message that says "Keynote (Numbers and Pages) cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID." I actually tried to change to the @me.com Apple ID, but that was a useless move. Not sure what to do. Ultimately I'd like one (the original) Apple ID that works for everything. Aren't we only supposed to have one? Appreciate any help. This is my first Mac. There's a steep learning curve!

MacBook

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 4:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2020 5:40 PM

What happened when you tried to log into your original Apple ID? Error message(s)?

Is the @me.com an alias of your original Apple ID? If you log into your Apple ID, does the @Mac.com address show under Reachable At? If so, they are the same Apple ID.

Apple ID - Manage   

If the applications that need updating are Apple applications that came with the computer, try going to the App Store Purchases tab or click on your profile and then go to Purchases to see if there is an option to accept the applications with your Apple ID. If that doesn't work, you can delete the applications and download them with your Apple ID. The applications are free. You may have to sign out of the App Store, restart the computer, and sign back in to download new copies.

Purchase History Review

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 6, 2020 5:40 PM in response to NewMacbookProOwner

What happened when you tried to log into your original Apple ID? Error message(s)?

Is the @me.com an alias of your original Apple ID? If you log into your Apple ID, does the @Mac.com address show under Reachable At? If so, they are the same Apple ID.

Apple ID - Manage   

If the applications that need updating are Apple applications that came with the computer, try going to the App Store Purchases tab or click on your profile and then go to Purchases to see if there is an option to accept the applications with your Apple ID. If that doesn't work, you can delete the applications and download them with your Apple ID. The applications are free. You may have to sign out of the App Store, restart the computer, and sign back in to download new copies.

Purchase History Review

Confusion about Apple ID on newly purchased MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.